Ottawa, Ontario–(Newsfile Corp. – October 4, 2021) – Today, the Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health is proud to celebrate the start of the 2021 Mental Illness Awareness Week. This annual national public education campaign is designed to help open the eyes of Canadians to the reality of mental illness. Additionally, CAMIMH is celebrating the 2021 winners of the Champions of Mental Health Awards at their annual virtual gala, taking place during MIAW.
This year’s winners are:
1) The Sharon Johnston Champion of Mental Health Award for Youth – Hani Rukh E Qamar (Montréal, QC)
2) Media – Leigh Bursey (Brockville, ON)
3) Workplace Mental Health – Annabelle Bourassa (Montréal, QC)
4) Community Organization – Boots on the Ground (Georgetown, ON)
5) Community Individual – Helen Fishburn (Guelph, ON)
6) Parliamentarian – MP Todd Doherty (MP for Cariboo-Prince George, BC)
7) Innovation (Researcher or Clinician) – Dr. Srividya Iyer (Montréal, QC)
“We are so grateful for the important work they have been doing to advance the mental health agenda in Canada. Mental Illness Awareness Week is one of the key campaigns we run to help educate all Canadians about mental illness and how it impacts our lives,” said CAMIMH co-chair Ellen Cohen. “Reducing stigma and encouraging open conversation is the first step in making sure that all Canadians realize that if they are struggling, especially right now, they are not alone.”
“Part of the importance of Mental Illness Awareness Week is the fact that we are celebrating our 2021 Champions of Mental Health this week, and recognizing the important work they’ve done to advance the mental health agenda in Canada,” added CAMIMH co-chair Dr. Kim Hollihan. “These Champions, and every other Champion that has come before them, are instrumental in helping us advance the mental health and substance use agenda in Canada, and for putting a face to some of the progress being made around the country.”
This year’s theme for MIAW and the Champions gala is Embrace, Celebrate and Connect. The gala will take place virtually on October 5th at 7 p.m. …….